During an interview, you can encounter a great variety of different questions. One that you should absolutely be prepared for is any questions regarding your 30-60-90-day plan.

And if you are asking yourself what is that – it is exactly what it sounds like – it is all about your intentions for the first 30, 60, and 90 days on your new job.

But answering such a question can be quite tricky, you need to both show a plan, but also add in some enthusiasm about the job opportunity itself.

Why do recruiters ask about your 30-60-90-day plan?

Your first 30, 60, and 90 day on a new job represent your first 3 months on your new position. That time is crucial for you to show how well you are adjusting to the job, your team, and the overall company culture.

And that’s exactly what recruiters are interested in. Furthermore, the recruiter would also want to find out how well you understand the duties and expectations for the position.

Here are a few simple steps to follow to help you come up with structured answers;

1. Research the position

The first step you need to take to prepare yourself for 30-60-90-day plan interview questions is to research the company you are and interviewing for, and the position itself.

Take the time and search through the company website, and read any articles you can find about them, so that you can understand what they value, and what their culture is all about.

2. Determine your goals

After you are done with your research, it is time to get the basis of your answer ready – the goals you would like to achieve within your 30-60-90-period.

Think about any projects you would like to complete, or any tasks you plan to handle.

Setting goals can be hard at first, so if you would like to make the process a little easier, you can break your goals down into categories, like: learning goals, performance goals etc.

3. Highlight your qualifications

Once you have your goals ready, it is time to show that you have what it takes to accomplish them.

Think about your previous work experience, all skills you have acquired over the years, as well as your education, and use all that to show that you are qualified enough to get the job done.

4. Show some examples

But simply listing skills is not enough to impress recruiters, you need to think about specific examples you can use to back up your qualification.

Think about any goals you have accomplished, and briefly share the experience with the recruiter, so that they would know you have the qualifications you claim to have.

However, if you lack the experience, and can’t think of such examples, you can always discuss specific times when you took initiative to learn new skills.

5. Ask some follow-up questions

Interviews are two-way conversations, and asking follow-up questions can show hiring managers your commitment to excelling in the position. After you discuss your goals for the first 90 days, briefly pause and then ask whether your response aligns with their expectations for the role.

Here are some examples of questions you may ask about your first three months in the new role:


  • What type of training can I expect to receive in my first three months?

  • What are some goals you may have for the first 30, 60 and 90 days in this position?

  • What are the short- and long-term goals for this position?

Finally…..

We are going to take a look at two examples of how you can answer this question;

Example 1

“In my first 30 days in the company, I would like to work closely with my whole team, so that I can get a better understanding of the projects we are working on. During my next month, my goal is to start taking some tasks, and get in the practical part of the work with my colleagues’ assistance. After 90 days, I plan to be ready to start working on company projects without supervision from colleagues.”

Example 2

“With my experience, I believe I can adapt quickly and effectively in the new position in your company. During my first 30 days, I plan to meet with each member of the team and learn about the processes you have established. After my first month in the company, I plan to use what I have learned about your processes, and along with my experience to start delivering quality results. In my previous position, I managed to achieve my goals within my first three months, and I am confident I can do the same in that position.”

Need help tackling such difficult interview questions? Book a session with an interview coach today who will help you confidently answer any question!

N.B: Looking For A New Job? Find Your Next Job With Us. Click Here To Register Your CV. It's Free.