Latest Jobs in Kenya 2023- Job Vacancies in Kenya - EjobsinKenya

View latest jobs in Kenya 2023. Today Recent job vacancies, banking, graduate, oil and gas jobs in Kenya, Aviation Jobs and careers. E- Jobs in Kenya is No 1 Latest Jobs in Kenya website for Job vacancies in Kenya. Get Jobs in Kenya 2023 Today.

Apr 30, 2015

I Am Ashamed of Including My Salary On The Cover Letter


Career Dilemma: I am ashamed of including my salary on the cover letter


By Elizabeth Benu,


While you may be excited that a new job means a better salary, Sarah Muchemi is ashamed of her salary and would rather not apply for a job she is qualified for because of it:


This is her story:


I consider myself poor because I do not have a lot of money. Having invested heavily on my tuition fee I feel bad that I am earning peanuts while half my college mates are doing financially well in their lives. I am always qualified for jobs, but all the time I fail to apply because I feel that my salary is too little.


I graduated with a degree in Strategic Management and then landed a job at a small firm as an Operations Assistant. When I started one and a half years ago, I was earning 9,000 shillings, and so far it has only been increased to 14,000 shillings. Mind you I had previous experience that was a 6 months internship.


All the jobs that I am qualified for require someone to state their current and expected salary but I am ashamed of mine. I want to earn a salary in the range of Kshs. 35,000 to 45, 000 but with my current wage, no employer would consider hiring me. I feel that this would be their judging point on my potential as a job candidate.


With my poor pay a prospective employer may feel that my skill set is not worthy therefore deny me the chance to work with them. What do I do yet I really want to get out of my current job? Can I ignore that part and send my applications because I am not proud of my salary at all.


Please Help


What would you advise Sarah to do? Should she include her current salary on the cover letter or not?


Dont Miss any Job Or Article Subscribe to Career Point Kenya by Email FOR FREE CLICK HERE




No comments:

Post a Comment