Latest Jobs in Kenya 2023- Job Vacancies in Kenya - EjobsinKenya

View latest jobs in Kenya 2023. Today Recent job vacancies, banking, graduate, oil and gas jobs in Kenya, Aviation Jobs and careers. E- Jobs in Kenya is No 1 Latest Jobs in Kenya website for Job vacancies in Kenya. Get Jobs in Kenya 2023 Today.

Jul 31, 2015

I was fired for being pregnant. What do I do?


By Sera Kazungu


“I believe that my boss was wrong to fire me. When he found out I was expectant, he started finding fault with everything that I did.” Says Beth Wendo
In today’s workplace, there are a bunch of problems that face job seekers. Beth shares her story with us.
Beth’s Story


“I was the usual hardworking employee; getting to work early and leaving late, meeting deadlines, going above and beyond the set targets and getting along with all my colleagues. Two months into my job and I was given a team to head.


Everyone at the office agreed that I deserved it. Not to brag, but my team was the best in the company. We drove profits and hardly any losses.


After working for close to three years at the company, I discovered that I was expectant. As with all pregnancies, fatigue and morning sickness became a part of me.


However, I pushed myself and struggled to meet the expectations at my job.


When my boss discovered that I was pregnant, his attitude changed towards me. He started adding to my workload and setting impossible targets. He would scold me for no particular reason and sometimes assign my duties to my subordinates.


I struggled every day to meet the set targets. One day, I got really ill with pneumonia and had to take a sick leave of five days. When I got to the office, I found that I had been demoted. I was really heartbroken and decided to confront my boss.


All he had to say was that I should accept things as they were or resign if I was incapable of performing tasks assigned to me.


SEE ALSO >>> Frustrations Single Men Face At Work


I went back to my office and decided to let things be. This was not the worst of it. As with every pregnancy, the time came for pre-natal visit. I asked my boss for permission to get into work slightly late.


When he asked me why, I was honest and told him it was because I wanted to attend pre-natal clinics.
He begrudgingly gave me his permission.


From that day on, he would not assign me any duties and instead over burdened my colleagues. When I gathered courage and asked him why, he simply stated that pregnant women were supposed to stay home. I ignored this remark and went back to my work.


Two weeks later, I handed in a report late because there was no internet connection. He scolded me and sent me back with the report. The next day, I received a letter of termination.


I think I was wrongfully terminated. What should I do?”


What advice would you give Beth? Leave your comments below.


Dont Miss any Job Or Article Subscribe to Career Point Kenya by Email FOR FREE CLICK HERE




No comments:

Post a Comment